Monday, May 24, 2004

Surprise!

Wow, I came back from class and there was candy corn on my desk! IN MY ROOM! CRAZY, I LOVE CANDY CORN!!!!! I ate lots of it, I hope it was for me, I don't know why else it would be living on MY desk though.

hours have passed since then, and my euphoria has been ruined by Relativity:

so, Alan is standing near a train track and sparks fall off of the front and back of the train car. The light hits him at the same time from both sparks... and Beth is on the train, and passes Alan as the sparks fly...

So, in Alan's perspective, the light from the front spark hits her before the light from the back spark, and the light in her perspective hits her first from the front, even though she is in the middle of the train.

The only way this happens is that the sparks jump at the same time in Alan's reference frame, but in Beth's the front one jumps first
Even worse....it turns out that length may not even be constant!

But no more! I am a Newtonian purist and will not succumb to the evils of this notion. In my realm, time will be constant, length will be constant, and light will never prevail in it's struggle to be constant!

3 comments:

Joel A. Shaver said...

Space, time, and light are all overrated. Food is what's important.

Meg said...

Down with Newton! Relativity rocks!

Anonymous said...

This is the most fascinating problem I've come up against in several days...(you know, of course, that light is really just a government conspiracy designed to brainwash us into complying with "the man" (TM)).